Finally! A 2018 Race!

"Disclaimer: I received free entry to the New Jersey(Half) Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review find and write race reviews!"


I’m IN to run the New Jersey Half Marathon on April 29, 2018! I am so excited to head to the Jersey Shore and run along the famed Boardwalk. Over the past 3 years of running half marathons I’ve realized that I’ve made it my unofficial goal to run something in (at least) every East Coast state so I’m excited to check New Jersey off the list.


I lived in New Jersey for 7 months during 2012/2013, but never made it down to the Shore. There’s so much I’m missing! Maybe I’ll fist pump through the race?! Is that still a thing? I sure do hope so.

With a race finally on the schedule for 2018 that means training officially starts on December 25, 2017. Merry Christmas to me! I’ve decided to switch it up this year and try Hanson’s beginner Half Marathon training plan.

The past two years I used the “Under 2:30 Half Marathon Plan” in the RunKeeper app. I thought it was quite effective, but I’m ready for a change. Hanson’s plan is 2 weeks longer than the RunKeeper plan and I think it has a bit more running overall. Most of the miles in the plan are “easy” miles to just get your body used to running high mileage. What I like about Hanson’s plan are the tempo runs at Half Marathon pace and then even some intervals at 10 sec under half marathon pace to REALLY push yourself.

I’m not going to lie to you. It looks really daunting. But I really want to come away with a PR. My fastest half marathon was the first one I ever ran. I didn’t know enough to know how to pace myself or how much I was hurting. It’s been 2 long years and I’m ready to go for it!

I’m itching to start training. I have my gear ready to go including a new pair of Hoka One One Bondi 5s and a brand spanking new pair of Wiivv Custom Insoles. I’m trying to increase my base mileage, but also listening to my body and trying not to get hurt. There’s just a lot of nervous energy right now!

April 29th can’t come soon enough! There’s a lot of hard work to come between now and then and I can’t wait!


Use code "NJMBibrave18" to save $5 off your registration! 

What races are you running? What training plans do you use?


-Happy Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

2017 Races