Willimantic Half Marathon Training- A Reflection, Part 1

Holy cow. Things just got real. Week 15 is in the bag people! That means that the date I circled on my calendar since October 30th, 2015. That is a long time to be staring down a goal date and mentally preparing.

When I registered for my first half marathon, I hadn't run more than 6 miles at a time. And even that made me feel like I was going to pass out and need a stretcher to take me home. So, I questioned my sanity a little bit when I pressed the "Confirm" key and officially registered. There was no turning back.

And then I told everyone I talked to about registering and my goal, so I couldn't back out (Plus my sister registered and bought plane tickets, but we could have made a nice vacation out of it either way). I found my training plan, bought a planner to write it all down, and then waited patiently for January to roll around. I mean, I kept running and telling people about the half, but I wasn't really "in training" yet.

Bam! January 11th, 2016. Day 1 of training and I was off! Let me tell you, it was not all rainbows and sunshine. In fact, there was not a whole lot of sunshine to be had (given the fact that it's generally dark in the morning as well as after work during the winter) but I somehow made it through. I give a lot of credit to my trusty headlamp, my 2 pairs of gloves, and my endless packs of HotHands Hand Warmers.

15 weeks later, here I am. I've run through rain, snow, bitter cold, glorious Spring days...the basic New England winter. I can't believe it quite honestly. I know I'm ready, and yet I feel like it can't really be here just yet, that I need to keep training. That I might never be ready to tackle 13.1 miles. Which I know is silly.

I've done the hard, dirty work. I've put in the time. I'm ready to cross that finish line with my sister! Here we go! Saturday, here I come!

Comments

  1. Yay! So very excited for you! Can't wait to hear all about your weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Stacey! So excited and so incredibly nervous at the same time :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.