Can I Get Fries With That?- A Look At Post-Workout Snacks


If you're like me, I think any type of running is a huge accomplishment. It's huge just to get out the door and even start. And then to go 3, 5..or *gasp* 13.1 (or LONGER!) miles, well heck! I deserve to treat myself. (Side note, I now imagine Tom Haverford whispering in my ear "treat yo'self!" But I digress...)

Source
So it only seems natural that after a run you deserve a delicious post-run snack, right? Like pizza, or ice cream, or a bagel and cream cheese. I'm guilty of eating all of those post-run. Every single delicious calorie.

Here's the thing though. While those snacks might be delicious, they're not fueling our bodies in the ways we need after a run, especially after a long run.

I was inspired by Nuts.com to write about healthy snacks to help refuel the tank and make sure you're getting the most out of your hard workouts.

The Science:
Sorry to have to get nerdy on you here, but I feel like a quick science lesson is in order. Just a short one. I promise.

When we run (or exercise), our body break down glycogen in muscle fibers and the liver to give us energy. If we run for a long time, our body depletes itself of glycogen and has to then use fatty acid stores in muscle fibers for fuel. As we recover, our body will replenish the stores, but in order to do that we need nutrients.

Specifically- Carbohydrates and Proteins

There is growing amounts of evidence that shows a post run/workout meal consisting of carbohydrates and proteins can enhance muscle gylcogen and protein resynthesis. 

So what does that mean for you?

Snacks:
Post exercise snacks and meals are important if you want to get the most of of your workout! 

To get the most bang for your buck, try and snack on something that has a combo of carbs and protein. I'm not much of a cook myself, so I personally like to snack on hummus and red peppers or pretzels. 
Source

I've also been known to throw some oatmeal into the microwave after a long morning run. It's the perfect blend of carbohydrate, protein, and fiber so it keeps you fuller longer. 

There are some excellent ideas of High-Protein Snacks over at Nuts.com with some delicious and healthy recipes! 

Hydrate: 
Let's not forget about the importance of rehydration as well! The average person sweats .7-1.4L/hour of exercise. Maybe more if it's hot and humid. When you sweat you're not only losing water, but salt and other electrolytes as well. So when you're done exercising, it's a good idea to replenish with an electrolyte rich fluid. My personal favorite is Nuun, but the market is full of them so there is always plenty to choose from! 

So let's hear it! 
What's your favorite way to refuel after a run or workout? 

Disclaimer: I am NOT a registered dietician. I AM a physical therapist and took some science classes in college. I also did some research for this article. These are my own opinions. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

2017 Races