Running First: Run Club!

Since I'm somewhat new to the running community, I like to be as active as possible whether it be on Twitter or Instagram. So when a BibRave #BibChat came around a few weeks ago, I decided to participate, chat it up, and meet as many awesome runners as possible. Well, long story short lucky me met a fellow Cape Cod runner- Danielle! And Danielle was kind enough to invite me to a local run club last night.

I had absolutely no idea what to expect, how many people would be there, or who I would meet. I'm not going to lie, I was nervous going into it. I had only run with another person one other time (my sister) and otherwise my entire running journey had been composed of solo miles. Which I was totally fine with. I like being alone when I run. I like to be alone with my thoughts and be able to talk to myself (in a non-crazy way!) when I need a pep talk. So I had never considered a run club before because I really liked running alone.

But Danielle invited me and I thought, why the hell not? I've been on the Cape for 3 years now and I haven't met a ton of people. So it would be nice to get to know some runners and have someone to talk to about running since my fiancé is getting quite sick of hearing about my training.

So even though I was nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up, I went to our local running store, met up with Danielle and 37 other runners (!) and we got a move on. I completely forgot to take pictures on our run because I was too busy chatting it up with everyone! And trying not to pass out because I was running so fast. Whoops. I might have gone out a little too fast, but that's my own problem. I'll take it a little slower next time.

A couple things I learned:
-I need to run at my own pace. I was able to keep up with the group I left with, but I definitely feel it today.
-Running in a large group will definitely get some looks from motorists which is fun
-Though I wasn't alone with my thoughts, chatting with others while running is great. Though I need to work on my breathing so I can bust out more than 1 word answers!

Overall, I had an awesome time meeting everyone, learning about their running stories, and telling them mine. Though I never considered a run club before, I can't wait for next week!

Do you run with a group or do you prefer to run alone? 

-Happy Running!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

2017 Races