My 2017- A Look Back (A Little Early)

Back in January I set a goal to run twice as many half marathons in 2017 as I ran in 2016. I thought 4 would be tough, but if I didn't push myself I would never get stronger or better.

I circled Memorial Day 2017 on my calendar as my "goal" race and went to work on my training plans and trying to figure out logistics of how I could really pull off staying in half marathon shape throughout the majority of a year. See, I'm not a gifted runner. It's hard for me. I trained my butt off for my 2 races last year and knew it would take so much dedication to be able to run well from April (my first "practice" half) until September.

I started training in December and then jumped into my official training plan in January. It was a long process to have almost 5 months of training runs scheduled, but I knew what had to be done. I was pumped to be back out there and feel like I was making progress. I felt healthy and I was working hard to keep up with strength training too.

The end of April came and I drove down to Providence, RI with nervous energy. I felt good throughout the entire race (despite the hills) and knew I just might be able to pull off this crazy goal of mine. I was determined! I had planned on taking that race slow and easy as a training run, but I felt so good and ended up being only 3 mins off a PR. Which was kind of crazy for me! I couldn't believe it.

Finally it was time for Memorial Day weekend and one of my best friends made her way through the Cape Cod traffic to run our goal race. Unfortunately she had strained her hip during training and wasn't sure what pace she was going to run. But our goal was for a PR and we both decided to go for it.

The race was a great experience and we were on pace for a PR until we weren't. It was a tough pill to swallow in the end, especially after all of our hard work but we dusted ourselves off, collected our medals proudly, and drank a beer. It was worth it!

I still had two races to go when the opportunity to run a 5th in October fell into my lap thanks to BibRave Pros. I was SO nervous to apply and sign up, but I knew I had to push myself even further.

Long story short, I went above and beyond my initial goal of running 4 half marathons in 2017. I might not have gotten the PR that I wanted to, but I have never been prouder of myself. I never would have believed this was possible at the beginning of 2016 when I first started to run longer distances.

I am toying with goals for 2018 that are really nerve wracking and I keep thinking back to this year. "Why not?" I ask myself, if you can push yourself to run 5 half marathons in a year why not something as crazy as a full? Or maybe a race a month? Goodness...who knows?!

-Happy Running! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

2017 Races