Training for Rock n' Roll Brooklyn

Disclaimer: I received free entry to Rock n' Roll Brooklyn Half Marathon as part of being a BibRave Pro. Learn more about becoming a BibRave Pro (ambassador), and check out BibRave.com to review, find, and write race reviews! 



With less than 50 days until the Rock n' Roll Brooklyn Half Marathon on October 14th, 2017 my training is in full gear! I can't wait to run through the streets of Brooklyn on what I hope to be a lovely Fall day. 

In the past when I've trained for races I've run (haha go figure!) and done little else to help myself. I knew cross-training and strength training were important, but wasn't it enough that I was running 20-30 (maybe more) miles a week?! Hint: it wasn't. 

When I got the opportunity to extend my 2017 race schedule with Rock n' Roll Brooklyn I knew I had to change the way I trained otherwise I was going to end up injured. 

I was really trying to push myself in 2017 to run 4 half marathons, 2 more than I did in 2016 (read more about my goals here!). I knew even this was going to be a stretch and would require a lot of discipline on my part to maintain my mileage and stay healthy. 

Since deciding to run the Rock n' Roll Brooklyn Half Marathon in July I've really upped my strength training and yoga to help improve my overall fitness and flexibility. Though I wouldn't say that running has gotten any easier for me (I still struggle like no tomorrow!) I've found that after long runs I'm less sore and can generally go about my day a little easier than before, which is a big plus. 


For me even just training for Rock n' Roll Brooklyn is a huge victory. Crossing that finish line in October will be even sweeter- my 5th half marathon in a year, the realization of how to train smart, and (hopefully) a full year of running injury free. 

How have you altered your training? Do you have any Fall races coming up? 


Use code "BIBRAVE15" at checkout to save $15 on registration! Sign up now and run this awesome Fall race!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

Willimantic Half Marathon Training- A Reflection, Part 1