Rock n' Roll Philadelphia Half Training Recap- Weeks 1-3

Week 1: 
As any training plan starts the mileage is low and the times are not particularly fast as you get back into the swing of things. It was no different for me. I probably went even slower than usual, trying to nurse my left foot into cooperation. My left heel has been bothering me for a couple of months now, not so much when I'm running but it can be horrible right after the run. 

The people at Kendall GelThotics were kind enough to send me a pair of their gel orthotics to help me along with my training plan. I put them to use right away, wearing them in both my work shoes and then switching them over into my running shoes. 

My heel felt awesome at work, no pain at all! It was truly amazing and work was a breeze. Running was a slightly different story, unfortunately. 

I made it through my week 1 runs successfully, but I was hurting afterward. I wanted to keep going with my program but I decided that my end goal was more important in the long run. So I decided to take a break from running to try and give my aching plantar fascia and heel a rest and to focus on stretching and strengthening in the upcoming weeks. 



Weeks 2-3:
Somewhat boring since I wasn't running. But the gym was calling and I had work to do. Stretch and strength training. Strength training and stretch. Over and over and over. Broken toe pose is my new frenemy. 

Source

My heel is still painful, but it's at such random times! Even as a medical professional, I don't get it. So I'm going to keep at my rest from running program until the end of the week and we'll see where it gets me. I can't afford to take too much time off from this training program. This half marathon isn't going to train itself! 

How do you deal with injuries?
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

One. More. Month.

Willimantic Half Marathon Training- A Reflection, Part 1