10 Things I Learned While Training For A Half Marathon

In case you didn't hear, I finished my first half marathon on April 30th, 2016! And I already signed up to race in my second at the end of this month. Crazy, I know! Never in my life did I think I would be able to run even 3 miles, yet alone finish a half marathon. That was always something for another group of people.

But, on the eve of my Runniversary, I wanted to take a look back at what running for an entire year, training for, and finishing a half marathon has taught me.



1. Start Slow- I am proud to say that I am a successful Couch to 5k'er. It took me longer than the training plan said it would. I was not a runner when I started, but I definitely was when I finished. It's okay to take things at your own pace and to listen to your body. There were definitely weeks I had to repeat during C25K and I am definitely glad I did.

2. Don't Be Afraid To Share- All I can talk about now is running. I'm pretty sure it's getting on my fiancé's nerves. But I know I had to share my goals of training for and completing a half marathon with as many people as possible. I got it out there so I couldn't take it back. And now I share my ups and downs with anyone that will listen (or even look in my direction.)

3. Invest In Some Good Shoes- Seems like a no brainer, right? But it's not just "good shoes that someone told me about." It's taking the time to go to a specialty running store, having your foot and gait analyzed, and getting a shoe that they recommend and that feels comfortable. They might not be the "jazzy" color, but your feet will thank you.

4. Perseverance- There were plenty of awesome runs during my official 16 weeks of training. But there were also plenty of runs where I just wasn't feeling it, my legs hurt, or I was just plain tired. But I had this big goal and I had to keep pushing toward it.

5. Discipline- Along with perseverance, discipline was a big one for me. I never thought I would choose to wake up early on a Sunday to squeeze in 10+ miles before brunch or even earlier still if I had to work that weekend. Picking and sticking to a training plan taught me how strong I really am.

6. It's Okay To Skip a Day- I know this is a DIRECT contradiction to #4 and #5, but I think it's important too. Some days life gets in the way. Or you really CAN'T run for whatever reason. As long as it's not a long run day (never skip a long run!) it's OKAY to skip a day in the training plan. Your body probably just needed the extra rest. You're still disciplined.

7. Never Judge A Run By The First Mile- Even with a solid dynamic warmup (which I am guilty of skipping a fair number of times) it invariably takes at least a mile or so to get in the swing of things. Maybe even longer. I've struggled through the first 3 or so miles on long runs. Good thing I was then 3 miles from my car and wasn't on a loop otherwise I might have quit on that one. But the point is, after Strugglesville during the first 10-20 minutes of a run while your body adapts to the stresses you're putting on it during a run.

8. Have A Good Playlist (Or Podcasts!)- Seriously, the miles add up quickly and can get boring if you don't have anything. But every once in awhile try a solo run without headphones. It's kind of neat to listen to your breathing, your feet hitting the pavement, and the birds chirping.

9. Weekends Can Still Be Fun, Within Reason- During training, I STILL had game nights with my friends. And I still went to brunch with my honey. But I made sure to tell everyone that my night was ending early and I wasn't drinking. Or that I got up extra early so I would be home in time for when my sweetie got out of bed on Sundays. Training takes some sacrifice, but that leads me to #10...

10. You Will Be So Proud Of Yourself, It Isn't Even Funny!- I know, that one seems like a no brainer too! But stop and think about it for a minute. Do you remember what it was like to cross the finish line of your first race, no matter what the distance?! I know I didn't want to take my medal off. My sister finally had to pull it over my head before I got into the shower. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for a week. I still smile when I tell people about it, and for good reason! 16 weeks is a long time to spend on anything, and then to top it off by traversing 13.1 miles for fun?! That deserves a huge smile in my book!


What has training for a race taught you? 
I would love to hear from you! 

-Happy Running! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy Runniversary!

2017 Races

I'm Back Baby!